Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Creation Nation

Hi. My name is Whitney, and I like to make things. For example, these little nuggets, and their costumes.
Chloe has been Disney Princesses for EVERY Halloween that she has been big enough to make patterns for. She has been Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and now Cinderella. Todd has it in his mind to get her to dress in camouflage this year. I'm not so sure how much I like that idea.

We make some mean forts too. I anticipate MANY fort building days this summer. I also anticipate getting invited over to swim at my REALLY cool friends houses...but that's just a subliminal message. *wink wink*


It's a blackberry bush. These suckers are MEAN! But when the weather starts being meaner, they put on these pretty white flowers, and we get to look forward to heaping baskets of blackberries and making jams, syrups, muffins. Who am I kidding? They're not even going to make it inside.

Which brings us to these handsome gentlemen. We love to garden! We have three 4x12 garden boxes in our side yard, which will be expanded to one ENORMOUS 12x30 garden this summer. What is in our garden you ask? Well, not that cute little boy...I think they frown upon planting children. Just a hunch. (It's a joke!) This year we have planted tomato, cucumber, squash, cilantro, jalapenos, basil, onion, strawberries, okra, turnips, and beets.

We have an artichoke bush that is HUGE. It dies every winter, and comes back to life each summer bigger and badder than the year before. I don't water it. Quite frankly, I want the thing to die and stay dead.

We also have the a fore mentioned blackberry bushes, and we planted, or are going to plant this week Apricot, Peach, Apple, Orange, Grapefruit, and Jujubee Trees (it's not just a candy, it's a fruit! They are supposed to do VERY well in desert climates and they taste good too).



This is Delaney's car seat. It began it's life as Garrison's car seat. A sad sad blue Britax Companion. Then I was inspired! I had the cute white fabric in my closet, so I went to Joann's matched it to the hot pink corduroy and green fabric...it was in the quilting area. I assume it's a cotton. It feels cotton-ish. Anywho, then I grabbed FOUR packages of black bias tape, and away we go.

I spent a whopping $1.99 for a tutorial from Puking Pastilles on Etsy. (I wish I knew how to do cool links and just say click HERE...but I don't...boo.) It took about four hours of seam ripping, writing extensive notes ON the pieces, taking pictures so I would be able to reassemble, sewing, asking my extremely talented M.I.L. for help to sew button holes, borrowed a surger, sew, sew, sew, and then .... TA DA!

We get complimented on it all the time. I've had people ask me to make one for them, to buy it from me, or if I have a business. No, no, and no. It took me about 20 hours total to make this cover, and it was a labor of love. I now understand why people charge $80-$120 for custom car seat covers...and that's not including the cost of fabric! For some reason, it really bothers me when people ask if she's a boy or a girl...LOOK AT THE SEAT!!! Seriously, sometimes people's lack of common sense baffles me.

Next, hair accessories. I have made about 300 different hair accessories from clips, headbands, flowers, rolled roses, organza flowers, yadda yadda. You should SEE how many different things Chloe has to choose from each morning. It's pretty intense. Here are some of the most recent creations.





You have got to love craft time during General Conference. This was the perfect thing to occupy my hands so I wouldn't fall asleep, and leave my mind free and clear to pay attention to the talks. I felt all productive and stuff.

I'm toying with the idea of making Easter dresses for my girls this year. I just haven't been happy with any of the options that are available in the stores. Plus, I would have to buy TWO. I just can't justify breaking the bank on the dresses I do like. I'd better get started though, seeing as how I have about three weeks to get them done.

2 comments:

  1. Your talent amazes me! I can't sew...and don't have the patience to learn how to do it :) So when I see creations like yours -- I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at EVERYTHING you do! I hope my blog can be as cool as yours, you already have more on it then I do and I don't even know how to put pictures in where you did....still learning, but anywhoo...I am proud of EVERYTHING you do!!!!

    ReplyDelete